Wednesday, November 9, 2011

She's Kickin'






    So, we are overdue for an update! Things have been pretty busy in our neck of the woods. By now, I am nearly 24 weeks. Since our last post, I had a trip to radiology on October 17th for a mid-pregnancy ultrasound. This was the first time Jason was able to participate via skype. At one point, Jason said something and BC's heart beat faster. The technician said that BC had heard his voice and became excited. Although he couldn't see the screen well, he was able to hear everything. The important thing was he heard that our little BC looked textbook and that our baby is a GIRL! That's right, she is all girl and we have the pictures to prove it. She is one tough cookie who was conceived when the doctor said it wouldn't be possible. On October 19th, we had a check-up with the doctor who reported that all the lab work came back normal and she is healthy. Finally, I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. Then, as if the week couldn't be sweeter, we flew to San Diego to be reunited with Jason. It was the best week I've had during the whole pregnancy! I was so happy and my appetite had returned. Not only had my morning sickness tapered off but I felt completely whole with my other half and the baby. Jason and I had a fun week celebrating our anniversary and news of a little girl, shopping for her homecoming outfit, and starting our baby registry. We, by "we" I mean Jason, did a few wine tastings and a tour of the Stone Brewery. Fortunately for Jason, all my free beer samples went to him. The week ended too quickly and I was on my way back to Beaufort to my furbabies and maternity pillow.
      So, here's the scoop on BC's kicks: On September 24th at 17 weeks, I felt 2 pops in my belly in the middle of the night. They took me by surprise because it did not feel as small as popcorn. From that moment on, she has been kicking ever since. The kicks were noticeable after I ate and before I fell asleep. Then, on October 21st at 20 weeks, she felt especially active in the evening. I was laying down and placed my hand on my lower abdomen. My hand was greeted by a bump that stuck out. Not only did I feel the bump on the outside but I felt the movement on the inside. I pulled back my hand and giggled. Then I placed my hand on my abdomen again and she greeted me with another bump. Whether she has mastered her high five skills or not, I am sure she was trying to finally greet me. Unfortunately, Jason never felt her kick because every time she was active and he reached for my belly, she calmed down.
      On Halloween, I stayed home and watched movies, passed out candy, and felt a surprise. Indy, BC, and I all dressed up as skeletons. It was very nice to lounge around the house again and relax. The relaxation was interrupted by bubbles in my stomach. The feeling was new to me and the bubbles were pretty consistent. Every few seconds I would feel them. Then, something clicked: she has the hiccups! I had never felt them before. It was super cute and lasted only a short while.
       Lately, I have felt BC more these days. I think it's partly because she is getting bigger and partly because I am aware of her kicks. Also, there is no mistaking her movement! Sometimes she kicks something and it isn't always pleasant. I know that soon she will start putting on a show outside the belly too. One evening, I saw my blankets move from her movements. I may have a trick at the Thanksgiving table this year after all!
      We hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving this year and we want you all to know we are thankful for your support. Jason, BC, and I will be traveling to Texas to visit my family for Thanksgiving. I have not seen them in two years and I am thankful to spend time with them. Until next time, please enjoy the ultrasound pictures. Her beautiful face was captured by the ultrasound tech. I love the first picture because you can see her lips. The ultrasound tech tried to get a picture that didn't look skeletal but each time she did I laughed and probably messed up the opportunity. The last picture is our evidence of a girl. That picture cracks me up every time because her legs are sticking straight out as if she was just sitting in there. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment